From:   Fix <senorfix@gmail.com>
Sent time:   Wednesday, November 02, 2011 9:10:07 PM
To:   Eric Greenhouse <greenhouse.eric@gmail.com>
Cc:   bigqman@gmail.com; globalrevolutionmedia@googlegroups.com; Joshua Whalen <joshuafwhalen@gmail.com>; Vlad T <vlad@glassbeadcollective.org>; Josh Van Praag <jvanpraag@mac.com>
Subject:   Re: [GlobalRevolutionMedia] server/budget
 

Eric,

This sounds fantastic. We are very close to having secure office, near the park with a T3 connection. As soon as this space OS ready I will drop you a line.

I took the server that had been in use inedia area and brought it to streaming tent...hope it is around.

Michael Fix

Sent from my Star Trek like, mobile communication device, which is destroying language.

On Nov 2, 2011 7:34 PM, "Eric Greenhouse" <greenhouse.eric@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

My name is Eric.  I set up a dlink mini server a couple weeks back.
it worked fine and i created an ftp access URI with a couple of users.
 this aloud anyone in the world to login through their web browser
(for read access) or an FTP client application (for read/write
access).

This process worked fine, the server had an 8tb drive in there with
redundant backup options.  The only problem was the cops came in and
took out the generators so the server went down, plus the rain and
stuff.  bottom line is having a server out in the open like that is
not a good idea, because we will never have 100% up time.

But, if we can move the server to a secure location that will always
be powered, and always have internet, we can set up this scenario fine
and it will work fine and anyone around the world can access the same
files again.  the only down fall, is that only 10 users can access at
the same time.

Maybe later, when necessity is provided we can get some server space
which will allow more than 10 users.

By the way I know i am knew to this chain, I am a Computer Science
bachelor's, my education is in programming (C, C++, Java, etc.) and
networking (IP networking, IP telephony, anolog telephony).  I want to
help in every way possible, please keep me posted and add me to any
email threads that which could use my professional advice or skills.

I have recently been in contact with Andrew and Quacy, but thats it.
i would like to get more involved.


Regards,
Eric

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 12:41 PM, Fix <senorfix@gmail.com> wrote:
> Security, weather, space and power are major concerns/limitations to setting
> up a server in the Plaza. My personal recommendation would be to transfer
> footage to a laptop and then to the drives that are in the current budget.
>
> Meeting attendance today.... Two people total. We must change the meeting
> schedule to adjust to the current model of the Media WG.
>
> Michael Fix
>
> Sent from my Star Trek like, mobile communication device, which is
> destroying language.
>
> On Nov 2, 2011 8:39 AM, "Andrew" <andrew@thehumanchannel.org> wrote:
>>
>> ALL,
>>
>> WHere are we at with the ability to dump footage at the square?
>>
>> If were at the same place we were at on sept 17th, let's add some servers
>> into the budget.
>>
>> Josh, can you recommend? I think Vlad already has an idea....
>> On Nov 1, 2011, at 9:48 PM, Joshua Whalen wrote:
>>
>>> Andrew, this is Joshua from the #OWS-Solutions working group.
>>>
>>> I'd like to know what video server software are you using?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Joshua
>>>
>>> Joshua Whalen
>>> +1 (646) 770-0490
>>> joshuafwhalen@gmail.com
>>>
>>> "Vision without action is a day dream,
>>> Action without vision is a nightmare."
>>> -- Japanese proverb
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On Nov 1, 2011, at 4:21 PM, Andrew wrote:
>>>
>>>> To: ALL WORKING GROUPS that Outreach, Educate, Coordinate, Act for
>>>> Solidarity of the whole for the autonomy of the individual.
>>>>
>>>> We're coming together to create video content. First is a general
>>>> outline video of the entire movement to educate all, complete with succinct
>>>> facilitation/ga/consensus information/reasons.
>>>>
>>>> I already shot a facilitation training video that needs to be edited,
>>>> Lisa Fithian's workshop, which can work for part of this project. We won't
>>>> need to shoot more than another half a day or so for this, and try to be
>>>> organized and inclusive when editing.
>>>>
>>>> If anyone can help edit the workshop itself for me it will be a big
>>>> help.
>>>>
>>>> Here's a video "GA" from Atlanta of a really ironic and non-direct
>>>> democracy/consensus process, which was ows in the beginning. (Why are they
>>>> using the human mic if they have a real mic?)
>>>>
>>>> Join our project organizer:
>>>> https://www.pivotaltracker.com/projects/404611 - I added the media
>>>> production project.
>>>>
>>>> Let's test it out for our community's great need for a succinct and
>>>> continuous narrative. All groups, track our progress on the google group
>>>> also in case this fails. Forward an email to people to come join us in
>>>> producing media. This is a trial of a system that we need that organizes
>>>> needs and offers so that people can grow together.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Andrew
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On Nov 1, 2011, at 1:09 PM, laura stout wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> From: Charlie <charlie.gonzalez@gmail.com>
>>>>> To: Tamara Shapiro <tamarashap@gmail.com>
>>>>> Cc: Kelley Brannon <kelley.brannon@yahoo.com>; maralena
>>>>> <maralena.murphy@gmail.com>; Ethan Buckner <ethanbuckner@gmail.com>; Michael
>>>>> Badger <ows@mbadger.com>; "suresh2323@gmail.com" <suresh2323@gmail.com>;
>>>>> "nacarty88@gmail.com" <nacarty88@gmail.com>; "sarahcoughtry@gmail.com"
>>>>> <sarahcoughtry@gmail.com>; "lcparke@gmail.com" <lcparke@gmail.com>;
>>>>> "fithianl@igc.org" <fithianl@igc.org>; "srcorbin@gmail.com"
>>>>> <srcorbin@gmail.com>; "rachelmialeone@gmail.com" <rachelmialeone@gmail.com>;
>>>>> Casey O'Neill <casey.oneill.is@gmail.com>; Ezer Vierba
>>>>> <ezer.vierba@gmail.com>; "drew@nycga.net" <drew@nycga.net>; Kobi skolnick
>>>>> <kskolnick@gmail.com>; "gmachado1219@gmail.com" <gmachado1219@gmail.com>;
>>>>> "christopherbrian@riseup.net" <christopherbrian@riseup.net>;
>>>>> "amc08@hampshire.edu" <amc08@hampshire.edu>; "isaacgsilver@gmail.com"
>>>>> <isaacgsilver@gmail.com>; Mario Dartayet-Rodriguez <mdrodriguez@mac.com>;
>>>>> "neliniwfp@gmail.com" <neliniwfp@gmail.com>; "amin.husain@gmail.com"
>>>>> <amin.husain@gmail.com>; "maxberger@mac.com" <maxberger@mac.com>; Vincent
>>>>> Levy <vincelevy@gmail.com>; ""dogstarmonkey22@yahoo.com""
>>>>> <dogstarmonkey22@yahoo.com>; ""ezisette@yahoo.com"" <ezisette@yahoo.com>;
>>>>> ""marcomannone@gmail.com"" <marcomannone@gmail.com>; ""akelsie@gmail.com""
>>>>> <akelsie@gmail.com>; ""\"Devin Balkind" <devin@sarapisfoundation.org>;
>>>>> Wiljago Jean Cook <wiljago@gmail.com>; Joel Feingold <levtermen@gmail.com>;
>>>>> "larbeiter@hotmail.com" <larbeiter@hotmail.com>; "gail@nyc.rr.com"
>>>>> <gail@nyc.rr.com>; "graceofharvest1@gmail.com" <graceofharvest1@gmail.com>;
>>>>> "allencraig@live.com" <allencraig@live.com>; "crepuscular.worker@gmail.com"
>>>>> <crepuscular.worker@gmail.com>; "travelerjosh@me.com" <travelerjosh@me.com>;
>>>>> "mediaincomplete@gmail.com" <mediaincomplete@gmail.com>;
>>>>> "tedwardhall@lghtsrc.org" <tedwardhall@lghtsrc.org>;
>>>>> "lovethanksgabrielle@gmail.com" <lovethanksgabrielle@gmail.com>;
>>>>> "gilescharle@gmail.com" <gilescharle@gmail.com>; "ows.dropbox@yahoo.com"
>>>>> <ows.dropbox@yahoo.com>; "andrew@thehumanchannel.org"
>>>>> <andrew@thehumanchannel.org>; "scottrocker28@yahoo.com"
>>>>> <scottrocker28@yahoo.com>; "josedellargo@yahoo.com"
>>>>> <josedellargo@yahoo.com>; "arloguthrie23@gmail.com"
>>>>> <arloguthrie23@gmail.com>; "occupyanthony@gmail.com"
>>>>> <occupyanthony@gmail.com>; "re_cowan@yahoo.com" <re_cowan@yahoo.com>;
>>>>> "joel.feingold@gmail.com" <joel.feingold@gmail.com>; "johnfreez@gmail.com"
>>>>> <johnfreez@gmail.com>; "desiree.joy.deloach@gmail.com"
>>>>> <desiree.joy.deloach@gmail.com>; "outlikealion@aol.com"
>>>>> <outlikealion@aol.com>; "faithinfreedom_09@hmamail.com"
>>>>> <faithinfreedom_09@hmamail.com>; "amity.paye@gmail.com"
>>>>> <amity.paye@gmail.com>; "owsshipping@gmail.com" <owsshipping@gmail.com>;
>>>>> "victoria@showpaper.org" <victoria@showpaper.org>;
>>>>> occupycallplanning@googlegroups.com
>>>>> Sent: Tuesday, November 1, 2011 12:04 PM
>>>>> Subject: Communications from NC & SC...
>>>>>
>>>>> Hello all
>>>>>
>>>>> This is Charlie from the Mobile Occupation (Occupy Within Tour). Just
>>>>> wanted to keep you in the loop with any communications being sent my
>>>>> way...it seems like there is a growing awareness for the need to send a team
>>>>> down to the other occupations - feedback is that it is very disorganized and
>>>>> they can use some help with learning how to facilitate a GA, etc.
>>>>>
>>>>> Also, we are set to make an announce to the GA tonight - statement &
>>>>> minutes are on our website.  Looking to coordinate our proposal and begin to
>>>>> connect with other cities...  We are asking for your support...if you want
>>>>> to join the group we meet Monday, Wednesday & Friday @ 11am at 60 Wall.
>>>>>
>>>>> Love
>>>>> Charlie (917) 930-3329
>>>>> occupywithin.us
>>>>>
>>>>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>>>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>>>>> From: Debbie Hall <debbiehall13@gmail.com>
>>>>> Date: Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 10:18 PM
>>>>> Subject: Hi from Charleston
>>>>> To: occupywithin@gmail.com
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Hey there,
>>>>>
>>>>> Dallas said you guys were heading to Fla and I was hoping that you
>>>>> would be able to stop in Charleston, SC on the way.  I've been on
>>>>> occupywallstnyc livestream for about 3 weeks everyday and just went to our
>>>>> local GA meeting, which is every Thursday.  It was unorganized with a lot of
>>>>> duplication amongst committees (working groups) which I guess can go with
>>>>> the horizontal model - but one faction of the group wants to be violent from
>>>>> what I was told and broke off from the GA to discuss a direct action that
>>>>> may include that (I was hoping they just meant civil disobedience but I was
>>>>> told they actually want violence).  I think we really need a solid tethering
>>>>> to NYC to get this on the right track.  We could use your help if you can
>>>>> stop here.  It would need to be on a Thursday more than likely, but we could
>>>>> possibly organize outside those parameters if necessary.  It's a beautiful
>>>>> city with some great people and you're welcome to use my home as a base -  I
>>>>> have room to park the bus.
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks so much!
>>>>>
>>>>> Debbie Hall (citizendeb)
>>>>> 843-276-5377
>>>>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>>>>>
>>>>>> From: General assembly Facilitation <facilitation.ga@gmail.com>
>>>>>> Date: October 24, 2011 12:26:55 PM EDT
>>>>>> To: owsfacilitation@lists.riseup.net
>>>>>> Subject: [owsfacilitation] Fwd: training/support request
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Anyone want to take a trip to North Carolina?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>>>>>> From: Callie Justice <justice.callie@yahoo.com>
>>>>>> Date: Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 10:48 AM
>>>>>> Subject: training/support request
>>>>>> To: "facilitation.ga@gmail.com" <facilitation.ga@gmail.com>,
>>>>>> "Owsoutreach@gmail.com" <Owsoutreach@gmail.com>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Greetings from Durham, N.C.
>>>>>> We are struggling in the very early stages (maybe a month) of trying
>>>>>> to build an OccupyDurham movement.  Things are quite challenging.  There was
>>>>>> a lot of initial apparent energy which seems to have dissipated quickly.  Is
>>>>>> there anyone there who we could bring down (providing transportation,
>>>>>> housing, food) for a visit to train facilitation people in working with a GA
>>>>>> approach/framework, and perhaps to help us digest our experiences so far and
>>>>>> give us some support?
>>>>>> I'm writing as an individual at the moment and would appreciate
>>>>>> responses from you all that I will then take to the group for further
>>>>>> action.  There's a lot of good heart here, but we are floundering pretty
>>>>>> severely at the moment.  It looks to me like the right help could make a big
>>>>>> difference in how this unfolds.
>>>>>> Whether you have the resources to offer the kind of help I'm looking
>>>>>> for or not, THANKS for all that you do!
>>>>>> With love and good wishes,
>>>>>> Callie
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> Ows_solutions mailing list
>>>> Ows_solutions@freenetworkfoundation.org
>>>>
>>>> http://freenetworkfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/ows_solutions_freenetworkfoundation.org
>>>
>>>
>>
>
< PREV INDEX SEARCH NEXT >