Changing the Story and the #Occupy Meme:
Workshop on Occupied Wall Street hosted by smartMeme
Facilitated by: smartMeme strategy & training project
Tuesday October 18, 11:30 AM - 2:30 PM
Donations graciously accepted, but not required...
Goals of the workshop:
- Model Share: Present smartMeme's model of narrative power analysis and story-based strategy
- Analysis: Practice narrative thinking about the occupy meme and movement
- Dialogue: Open space for dialogue about deepening and developing narrative strategy
- Relationship Building & Networking: Have fun and build relationships
Who should come?
- smartMeme network folks
- OWS folks
- organizers, media makers, facilitators, strategists and story tellers who are part of the occupy movement and moment
* Welcoming & getting grounded
* What is story-based strategy all about?
* Reflection on the OWS narrative so far
* The Battle of the Story for Occupy
* Moving forward
The formal workshop will run from 11:30 to 2:30.
We have the space from 11 - 3 for informal networking before and after.
This is an impromptu workshop, hastily thrown together in the spirit of the emergent moment...sorry about short notice! We are also in need of a projector, if you've got one!
Who is smartMeme/What is story-based strategy?
Meme is a national strategy center that offers social justice networks and organizations the analysis, training and strategic support to win the battle of ideas with narrative strategies. Smart
Meme re-imagines methods to achieve fundamental social change with effective story-based approaches to framing that amplify the impact of grassroots organizing and challenge the underlying assumptions that shape the status quo. Story-based strategy is a method to link organizing & communications with the power of storytelling and to bring a narrative power analysis to the project of framing. Learn more at www.smartmeme.org
- or by reading our new book, Re:Imagining Change - How to Use Story-based Strategies to Win Campaigns, Build Movements, and Change the World
(PM Press, 2010)
101 tremont st, suite 812
boston, ma 02108
"Whatever you can imagine is real.."