John - could you email me (firstname.lastname@example.org) your id_rsa.pub
and I'll set you up with a shell account. It sounds like what you're
proposing should be quick, so I'll let you hop on, install munin, and
check the other config stuff. Please report back to the group w/ your
On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 6:00 PM, John Wojcik <email@example.com> wrote:
In my experience, the first bottleneck that small sites run into is
max_connections on the database. mysql default is 100.
Also, the db query cache can be turned on which would reduce the load
on the database.This is what I would probably do first.
I already have a my.cnf file with the changes necessary to tune the
database which I have used for other sites.
I would also check to see if APC is installed so that apache doesn't
tokenize the php each time it is called.
I can set up munin in about 15 minutes to do the monitoring and profiling.
Given access, I can probably have all of this done tonight and we all
wouldn't have to burn hours in a meeting. I am happy to document my
changes and update the list.
On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 5:35 PM, Tom Gillis <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
Hi Folks -
Just want to see who's on board for a work session tonight on server
optimization. I'd like to use this thread to coordinate time and
place where we can meet up in person or online. I won't be able to
come to the city until later tonight, probably around 8 or 9 but I'll
be on skype.
We'll take things as they come but I think first step will be to
install adequate monitoring / profiling software on the server - from
there we'll probably want to do some apache tuning, and some mysql
tuning, and if we feel ambitious, maybe splitting off mysql into its
own server and setting up master / slave replication.
There's also a lot of housekeeping that needs to happen on the server
- setting up user groups and creating a sane permissions structure so
that git / apache /developers can read / write all the stuff they
I'd also like to get puppet or something like it up and running soon
so that migration / cloning of this server can happen easily (but that
can wait until we have a configuration that we're happy with).
Please chime in with your availability for tonight.
phone 347 765 5233 (but pls txt, I'm going to be heads-down in client
work and probably won't answer)