I wasn't going to discuss the proposal but since Jake did..
I think the spokes council proposal is dangerous and unnecessary.
1. it's complicated and filled with gray areas that can be exploited
2. it adds layers of authority that we don't need to operate effectively
3. it sends a message to other GAs/occupations that direct democracy isn't effective
1. we have a new website that will greatly improve our capacity to communicate.
2. we can vastly improve fund allocation without a spokes council process
3. we can improve the existing GA by participating more and becoming better GAers
My recommendation is:
1. we help people use the new site to organize and share info better
2. we show up to more GAs and help the facilitators run them effectively
3. we outline the gray/unclear areas in the proposal and ask the
structure group to clarify them and bring it up again in 2 weeks.
my 2 cents :)
On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 12:45 PM, Jake <email@example.com>
At tonight's GA (7:00 PM at Liberty Plaza) the Structure Working Group
will be presenting their proposal to institute the Spokes Council
model for evolving the decision-making body of the NYCGA. It also have
a huge impact on the classification and organization of working groups
vs. thematic groups. This, in turn, has a huge impact on the website,
which is based so solidly on the idea of these groups. You can read
and download the full proposal here: http://www.nycga.net/spokes-council/
I have been attending Structure Working Group meetings for the last
couple of nights and I think it is very important that we support this
proposal as strongly as possible. Please show up for GA tonight and
let your voice be heard ins support!