It was discussed in depth, and we broke out into small (20-ish) person
groups to debate it and report our groups' concerns to the GA. The
Structure Working Group is now taking those suggestions and revising
the proposal to hopefully reach consensus at tonight's GA.
On Oct 21, 1:23 pm, Matt Browner Hamlin <matt.brownerham...@gmail.com>
Minutes aren't up on the site yet - any update on whether this passed the GA
On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 5:05 PM, Devin Balkind <devinbalk...@gmail.com>wrote:
I wasn't going to discuss the proposal but since Jake did..
I think the spokes council proposal is dangerous and unnecessary.
1. it's complicated and filled with gray areas that can be exploited
2. it adds layers of authority that we don't need to operate effectively
3. it sends a message to other GAs/occupations that direct democracy isn't
1. we have a new website that will greatly improve our capacity to
2. we can vastly improve fund allocation without a spokes council process
3. we can improve the existing GA by participating more and becoming better
My recommendation is:
1. we help people use the new site to organize and share info better
2. we show up to more GAs and help the facilitators run them effectively
3. we outline the gray/unclear areas in the proposal and ask the structure
group to clarify them and bring it up again in 2 weeks.
my 2 cents :)
On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 12:45 PM, Jake <jake...@gmail.com> wrote:
At tonight's GA (7:00 PM at Liberty Plaza) the Structure Working Group
will be presenting their proposal to institute the Spokes Council
model for evolving the decision-making body of the NYCGA. It also have
a huge impact on the classification and organization of working groups
vs. thematic groups. This, in turn, has a huge impact on the website,
which is based so solidly on the idea of these groups. You can read
and download the full proposal here:http://www.nycga.net/spokes-council/
I have been attending Structure Working Group meetings for the last
couple of nights and I think it is very important that we support this
proposal as strongly as possible. Please show up for GA tonight and
let your voice be heard ins support!