Hello! Sorry to have missed the meeting today -- wanted to bring up these things in person, but this is a great opportunity anyway!
Some ideas re: sound and also sharing this event across Occupies via streaming and google hangout. What do you think of these ideas?
Radio broadcast for sound:
Streaming/G+ hangout for video press conf w/MM:
- i tested out a low power FM transmitter last night with some other folks on this list -- set it up at the Media center -- we could receive it all across the park. we could use this to broadcast MM across the park.
- Info about the legality of broadcasting using low power -- is fine within the radius of the park: http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/audio/lowpwr.html
PART 15 DEVICES
Unlicensed operation on the AM and FM radio
broadcast bands is permitted for some extremely low powered devices covered
under Part 15 of the FCC's rules. On FM frequencies, these devices are
limited to an effective service
range of approximately 200 feet (61 meters). See 47
CFR (Code of Federal
Regulations) Section 15.239, and the July 24, 1991 Public Notice. On the AM broadcast band, these
devices are limited to an
effective service range of approximately 200 feet (61 meters).
See 47 CFR Sections 15.207, 15.209, 15.219, and 15.221. These devices must
accept any interference caused by any other operation, which may further limit the
effective service range.
For more information on Part 15 devices, please see OET
Bulletin No. 63 ("Understanding the FCC Regulations for Low-Power, Non-Licensed
Transmitters"). Questions not answered by this Bulletin can
be directed to the FCC's Office of Engineering and Technology,
Customer Service Branch, at the Columbia, Maryland office,
phone (301) - 362 - 3000,
- Link to the transmitter: http://www.amazon.com/0-5-Fail-Safe-Long-Range-Transmitter/dp/B003FO4UHW/ref=sr_1_37?ie=UTF8&qid=1319476421&sr=8-37
- I'm hoping to find some ways to let other Occupies participate in some of the teach ins and events that we have at OWS -- and to find ways to participate in theirs
- Is it possible to stream Teach-Ins? What is the process for choosing what is streaming at any given time?
- I tested out Google Hangout with some folks in other cities last night (Boston and San Diego) -- it worked well, in that we got them on the line and saw their encampments. This is a great technology for building camaraderie, but could also be used to help people who are not at OWS participate in conversations -- ie. at the end of MM's talk, we could call in other Occupies and people could ask questions/talk with OWS and MM this way.
- security note: anything we do on Google Hangout should be considered public, not good for any sensitive communications!
On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 12:51 PM, Dallas <email@example.com>
I have Michael avail Tue or Wed night to participate in a movie night.
As some of you may recall, he did a passionate people's mic last week,
and suggested movie night. He said "I will make the popcorn".
Someone in the people shouted for V for Vendetta. I think we should
also show Capitalism: A Love Story.
White hat, did you participate in movie night last night? I was off
site. How did it go? Did they use headphones or sound? Can we
coordinate on this? I would love to announce to GA /public that this
Michael is interested in doing sound, and may be willing to take the
arrest/ticket if needed. This is not critical, but pushing the
envelope for the name of art/film is of interest.