Subject: Re: [GlobalRevolutionMedia] Fwd: Occupy national call notes.
From: Victoria Sobel
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 12:02:26 -0400
To: globalrevolutionmedia@googlegroups.com

hey beka i had heard about this conference call but wasn't able to make it out, would really like to be a part of this coordination effort. when is the next call, and how regularly will these be?

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 10:19 PM, beka economopoulos <beka@notanalternative.net> wrote:
There was a national call with representatives from various occupations last night.  Here are notes.

b

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Here are notes from national call last night. 
Occupy Movement National Conference Call: Monday, October 24th


Facilitators: Tammy (OWS), George (OWS), Cole (Occupy Harrisonberg, VA)

Agenda:

1) How will this conference call work? (5 min, Michael)
2) Agenda review and timeframe (5 min, George)
3) Introduce facilitators (5 min, Tammy)
4) Introductions: Who’s on the call, from where, role (15 min, Tammy)
5) What are our goals for national communication intro (5 min, Cole)
6) Goals breakout groups (15 min)
7) Goals report back (15 min, Cole)
8) Needs/Assets (15 min, Tammy)
9) Next Steps (10 min, George)

Full Call Notes:

1) How will this conference call work? (5 min, Michael)
  • Tammy: Welcome to the call. We’re going to explain how this call works in just a minute. More people are joining us now.
  • This is Michael from New York. I’m going to be keeping stack for this call and monitoring the Maestro system that we’re using. We’re using Maestro to try and keep this call as coordinated as possible. If you want to speak, Press 1 on your phone. We haven’t tried this year, so bear with us. We have 90+ people on this call (WOO HOO!)
  • Michael: We have about 10 hands raised, which were general questions before we start. I’m going to put everyone’s hand down right now.
  • Manny from Marin: is this link going to be posted somewhere afterwards?
  • Tammy: we’ll post it on the OWS facebook page, and possibly other places as well.
  • Lauren: Can we talk about BoA bailout?
    • Tammy: We’re going to go through the Agenda right now, maybe it will be more clear what our intentions are for this call. We’re going to go through the agenda, and see if we need to adjust things afterwards.


2) Agenda review and timeframe (5 min, George)
  • Tammy: What are our goals for national communication?
    • We’ll use breakout groups using Maestro, then come back for reportbacks
    • If there’s time, we’ll have folks share the NEEDS of occupations and review ASSETS that we can bring. If we don’t get there, we will send out a survey
  • Hester: Wondering whether or not we can post our various actions somewhere? Part of communication is knowing what each other are doing in each of our occupations.
    • Tammy: That’s why the goals conversation is important.. hopefully that will come out
  • Occupy Denver: How are occupations doing with the weather? Add to Agenda
    • Tammy: We hope that issues like this will come out through our discussions.
  • New York: Keep it together y’all
  • Robin from Florida: I don’t have the ability to comment on the google doc
    • Ethan: You won’t be able to comment, but use the chat on the sidebar
  • Question: Is anyone live tweeting?
    • Ethan: Nope, but feel free to!
    • Tammy: We are also live streaming
  • Ted, Occupy Springfield IL: We’re having an issue with corporatism in our government. It seems like our occupy is more interested in completely tearing down the system. I’m wondering if other folks are having similar issues in thinking about what this movement is about
  • Andrew: I’m in the GA, might drop in and out
  • Tammy: Livestream link: youstream.tv on the front page- first featured banner
  • Lauren: I’ll save it for the goals conversation
  • Patrick: I don’t have the twitter for Ethan Buckner’s notes
    • Ethan: You don’t need twitter to find me. The twitter and google doc are public


3) Introduce facilitators (5 min, Tammy)
  • George from NY, Tammy from NY, Cole from VA
  • I’m not gonna catch everyone’s name from the notes :) I’ll do my best!


4) Introductions: Who’s on the call, from where, role (15 min, Tammy)
  • OCCUPATIONS REPRESENTED!
    • Washington  (1)
    • Santa Barabara (3)
    • Bradenton, FL (1)
    • Baton Rouge (1)
    • North Harlem (1)
    • Boston (5+)
    • Pueblo, CO (1)
    • LA (2)
    • Philly (1, maybe others)
    • Boise (30 - WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!! Charlie Sheen can’t top it)
    • Long Beach, CA (1)
    • Oklahoma City (1)
    • Gainesville (9)
    • Santa Cruz (4, and a few sea lions)
    • University of Florida in Gainesville (4)
    • Minneapolis (1, maybe others)
    • Fallout Shelter (Facebook Group w/Reps from Egypt, England, US)
    • Oakland (hella swag, 1)
    • DC (1)
    • Denver (1)
    • Portland (1, he’s MIA)
    • Phoenix (9)
    • Pittsburgh (4)
    • Tuscon (4)
    • Brooklyn (1)
    • Riverside (75- for real?)
    • Occupy Cafe (new platform)
    • Marin (1)
    • San Francisco (2)
    • Asheville, NC (2)
    • Occupy the Media (2)
    • Seattle (1)
    • Occupy Together (2)
    • Humboldt (20, y’all rock)
    • Harlem (2)
    • Queens (1)
    • St. Louis (11)
    • Zucotti Park (16)
    • Brooklyn (1)
    • Austin (20)


5) What are our goals for national communication intro (5 min, Cole)
  • Cole: It’s clear that communication is already happening. I’m excited to think about how we can do this effectively. Before we go to deeply into the how, we’re going to talk about the why... why is it important that we’re communicating?
  • We’re breaking into random groups
    • Discuss: Goals for national communication & coordination
    • Process:
      • Establish facilitator for each group
      • Notetaker for each group
      • Report back with 3 primary goals established collectively
      • You’ll have 15 minutes for breakouts
        • You’ll hear a “ding” after 15 minutes
  • Clarifying questions:
    • Suggestion: Chat them in!
    • Cole: not everyone has internet access, but if you do please use that strategy
    • Goals for the Occupy movement or phone call?
      • Cole: Goals for communication between occupations across the country


6) Goals breakout groups (15 min)
  • This is really cool. Energy is high here in NY :)
  • Also, Maestro is CRAZY (but very useful)

7) Goals report back (15 min, Cole)
*Try to report back w/ideas that haven’t already been said
  • Group 1: Lauren
    • 1) Coordinate actions, campaigns
    • 2) Sharing best practices and resources
    • 3) Building comradare
  • Group 2: Occupy Pittsburgh
    • 1) National action days
    • 2) Best practices and talking points that are national
    • 3) Nationally coordinate actions on Nov. 5th for the bank-out
    • 4) More conference calls
  • Group 3: Scott
    • 1) Communicating with each other about the structure of our organizations. What’s working and what isn’t. Build a replicable model to become more efficient w/WGs, Media, etc.
    • 2) Coordination on national events, mobilization, etc.
    • 3) Support each other in times of crisis as well as when people are getting started
  • Group 4: Ash
    • 1) How to integrate minority/community groups into our occupations
    • 2) Establish regional assemblies, across WGs for best practices
    • 3) Official list of occupations and contact info for distribution of info. Maybe a master email list. Communication from 1 GA to the next
  • Group 5: Joan
    • 1) Sharing resources/articles to help us build a common vision. Deal w/issues of racism, sexism, etc.
    • 2) Exchange info about actions that are successful
    • 3) Outreach strategies for education to increase our numbers
    • 4) Permaculture design
  • Group 6: Craig
    • 1) Help new occupy groups w/organization, conflict resolution, and morale (esp. smaller occupations)
    • 2) Small # of national events w/specific dates to coordinate actions in various cities, utilizing web-based and teleconference communication
    • 3) Another idea (not consensed upon): improve communication techniques across the country


Cole: A lot of commonalities present, and it seems clear that communication and collaboration can be helpful for all of us

8) Needs/Assets (15 min, Tammy)
  • Tammy: We wanted to do a needs assessment, we won’t be able to get everyone on the call, but we’ll start the process now. We can probably do this in a technological way (maybe a survey) after the call. What are one or two needs that your occupation has that national coordination can help with?
    • Also, anything your occupation have that could help support others!

  • Manny from Marin
    • Needs:
      • More occupiers from other areas to come sit with us while we get things functional
      • Methods for handling people who are ‘in’ more for the buzz word but who don’t understand our message (?)... these folks usually are the ones speaking to the media
    • Assets:
      • Money from the 19%
      • Huge number of people over 55, Caucasian, liberal
      • We have some respect from law enforcement in the area
  • Robyn from Badenton, FL
    • Needs:
      • IT support. We are having trouble reaching beyond facebook
  • Jim from Asheville
    • Needs:
      • Communicating from other cities that are challenged by ‘street people’ influx
      • GA and campsite becoming distinct cultures. Is that happening in other cities?
  • Occupy Cafe
    • Assets:
    • Needs:
      • Identifying conversations that need to happen within the movement
      • Need people to organize and coordinate conversations between people in the movement
  • Patrick from OK City
    • Needs:
      • Sustainable Tech.- weatherproofing!
      • IT support
    • Assets:
      • Lecture series (NVDA, etc.)
  • Lauren from UF
    • Needs:
      • How to start interactive website (IT support)
      • *Homeless are not a disease or a problem, they are a part of the 99% :)
  • Occupy Denver
    • Assets:
      • We’ve filed an injunction in federal court about 1st amendment rights
  • Ally from DC
    • Needs:
      • Structures to make working groups a positive networking situation. Problems with transparency and accountability
    • Assets:
      • Organizational structures that have helped us meet our needs
  • Santa Barbara
    • No place to protest 24/7
    • City Attorney w/the Police Force that will arrest anyone. (hands sparkle down. this stinks)
  • Boston
    • Assets:
      • Teach-ins and workshops
    • Needs:
      • Full participation w/the entire 99%
  • New York
    • Assets:
      • We have a lot right now!
    • Needs:
      • Help w/Teach-Ins that haven’t been happening as often as they should be
  • Phoenix
    • Needs:
      • Drum up more participation (only 15 people today)
...

[Message clipped]  

< PREV INDEX SEARCH NEXT >