Sarah, I'm of course not participating in the media
group's work and can't comment on that, but I'd like to
highlight that much of what Andrew is talking about are things
that the other comm cluster groups need to focus on, and his
points are well taken in that regard - video is key and getting
a high profile channel to put out what you all are producing
should be a high priority given how we're being bombarded with
negative press accounts.
On 11/06/2011 12:54 PM, Sarah Tuft wrote:
Re: [GlobalRevolutionMedia] Comm Cluster Quotas: video
I got the impression from yesterday’s
meeting that right now, equipment shortages are the biggest
obstacle to realizing your great vision. Maybe that’s why
budget and infrastructure are dominant meeting topics. But
even with our shortage of resources yesterday, the group
managed to organize some documenting of yesterday’s events
from the list that David supplied.
As I said to Dallas, I’d be interested in us using story,
satire and humor to counter the impression mainstream media
creates of us (The Post coverage, Guiliani’s ridiculous
comments.) But that seems like a “luxury item” right now.
Until we are up and running – with space and cameras – it
strikes me that the group’s will is that the priority is
documenting without being a filter, as Josh said. I wish we
had more control of what the press says, but maybe you never
really do... Apparently Rosie O’Donnell was at the park
yesterday and wanted someone “who was there from Day One” to
walk her through. To my mind, if someone high profile is
interested in learning about the Occupy movement, they should
also be taken to 60 Wall Street and sit in on some meetings as
well, especially as the park develops an aspect that’s not
motivated by principles of concern for others. And Justin was
amazing on NPR, but when you go on Colbert, you have to be
ready for some skewering...
On 11/6/11 2:30 PM, "firstname.lastname@example.org"
Christian et al lovely people,I
love the audience analysis and will fill in for media. I
noticed there were no media production notes in the recap.
I'm in massachusetts right now, talking to people who think
ows its trust fund kids and dirty people, for the reason
that we have not come together to realize video is our
greatest asset. We need a video put out by the movement that
becomes very popular, and this can represent us honestly. I
ask that everyone take a moment to think why videos are not
being pumped out daily by a conveyer like system in the name
of the GA, and consensus itself. (Will someone join me in
expressing on audience analysis pls?)Media.nycga.net,
internet wg, open source (libertyplaza.permabank.cc) are all
trying to figure out a plugin or original code for a project
organization tool that would allow users to: Submit creative
ideasHave profiles indicating involvement/experience so
that: Ability to volunteer for shifts and projects and
submit chores that need to be done in general, for users to
"check off" which shows on their profile. Catalogue of
projects w categories: outreach, education, coordination,
action, direct democracy process, wg's, sub wg's, channel,
series, campaign, + other relevant tags and topics.Needs and
offers posted categorized for: individuals, the movement,
and most importantly the needs of a certain project. I
invite anyone to join my initiative to write out all the
functions you see as needs, as open source and internet work
on this. Btw for developers to volunteer spread this link:
internet.nycga.net/volunteer.Until that time we'll use a
combination of www.pivotaltracker.com/projects/404611 ,
google docs any other suggestions for media ppl to plugin
instantly? This stuff we need on the front page along w news
feed and dir dem process/how to. I'm at occupy Boston
tonight, and will be at tues mtg. Pls anyone get in touch
for "business/plan/web specs/charter for media and internet/
and media production in general. Being away makes me love
this movement even more.A
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
From: Christian Smith-Socaris <email@example.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 11:52:29 -0500
Subject: [NYCGA-IWG] Communications Cluster Meeting
- Tonight, 7pm
Sorry for the late notice (and it seems to have dropped off
the events list), but tonight is the weekly communications
cluster meeting at 7pm at the Atrium in 60 Wall St. We made
a bunch of progress last meeting, but still haven't made it
all the way through the audience analysis chart <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Av5bIpwXvRJndGNpR1JKdjZNM0NSVnZYTzNfVzEzWkE&hl=en_US#gid=0>
Also, attendance at the meeting is dwindling:( Right now
the meeting conflicts with a Internet WG meeting and I'm
guessing people are fried by the end of the weekend and
don't want to finish with a late meeting. I'm going to
propose that we move the meeting to Tuesday at 7pm, right
after the Info WG meeting. How do people feel about that?
Notes from last meeting (also included in the audience
1. The Spokescouncil has come up with a way to catagorize
working groups so the website can just follow that; we don't
have to float our own proposal.
2. We went through about a third of the audience analysis
and came up with the following takeaways:
- Outreach is doing inreach to link
occupiers and WGs.
- Want to get liaisons for each
group [Drew (Open Source), Ronnie (Outreach)] - ? was
this for internet, info or the cluster; can't remember?
- Reach people without internet and
who can't go to the park easily: Information hotline
with events/announcements. Info will own.
- The community relations hotline
is also getting lots of general questions - we should
push these people to the website and/or record some
basic FAQs on the outgoing message.
- Need to write up and distribute
the process for getting materials printed by outreach.
[Jonathan will draft and distribute]
- Info and Outreach will
collaborate on general orientations for new working
groups. Leia is producing a pamphlet of info for WGs as
- Social Media: we should have
structure for naming handles and hash tags. Should we
also have shared accounts [Christian has ows_movement
and ows_nycga that could be used collectively]. Training
is most important to get more people using sm. Also, we
could feed the RSS of the events page to twitter.
DiceyTroop had a meeting about tweeting and we need to
get looped into that conversation.
- Good to have an online database
of groups active in NYC communities (though there are
- We need to get basic info into
the top section of each working groups' nycga.net group
page. Also need to expose it all and remove [more]
link. [Kevin will get info]
On 10/29/2011 05:55 PM, Christian Smith-Socaris wrote:
We will have the second Communications Cluster meeting
tomorrow, Oct 30 at 7pm in the Atrium at 60 Wall St.
The Cluster meeting is an opportunity for people active
in cluster working groups to work on issues relevant to
all groups and help coordinate our efforts. This meeting
will be a continuation of our last where we will further
discuss our key audiences, they're information needs and
our plan for filling those needs.
Last time we mapped audiences and needs to get a better
sense of what our overall communications needs are. You
can find the grid here <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Av5bIpwXvRJndGNpR1JKdjZNM0NSVnZYTzNfVzEzWkE&hl=en_US#gid=0>
. See sheet 2 of that doc for action items coming out of
Other items from last meeting:
We also discussed catagorizing the groups listed on the
site so that people can find what they're looking for
better. Jake and Leia are taking that on and will send a
provisional breakdown to WGs seeking feedback on any group
that feels miscategorized.
We also discussed the need to get a list management tool
and cooperating on recruiting volunteers. Christian and
others are focusing on making CiviCRM our solution for
Several people are interested in setting up project
management tools for the working groups and will be
working on getting a trial collabpress module up as a
Hope to see you on Sunday (tomorrow)!