Subject: Re: [GlobalRevolutionMedia] documentary working group mtg plans
From: jaimexo@gmail.com
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 18:20:15 -0500
To: "globalrevolutionmedia@googlegroups.com" <globalrevolutionmedia@googlegroups.com>
CC: "globalrevolutionmedia@googlegroups.com" <globalrevolutionmedia@googlegroups.com>, Joshua van Praag <jvanpraag@me.com>

I think that Lauri brings up some solid points. Thank you, Lauri. 

Our efforts need to be focused on being on the ground and getting out our message now to counteract what is being delivered by less than objective voices and actively document. 

I think a long form narrative is something that should be done, a valid effort. But, just not now. 

We should concentrate on continuing to build the media working group. We are not yet the efficient, producing giant that we can be with such collective talent and soon to be resources. In truth, we haven't produced as much as everyone has hoped and I know that there is a strong desire among members to get moving on projects that we can put up as soon as possible. Media needs a strong voice. It is our job to tell the story and to tell it as it happens. We need everyone. 

Building this group has been the result of tireless hours discussing and trying to implement process and structure. The result has been some outstanding & successful movement and, unfortunately, meeting fatigue. Let's face it, our meetings (on top of the GA & Spokes) are long and often not satisfying to all present. To start another meeting will further divide our group who are already meeting phobic. 

May I suggest that rather than creating a sub-group, we all consider John's proposal to start each meeting with report backs and project proposals. This way we are concentrating on what media needs to be done at every meeting. 

Another suggestion... Maybe we can delay the long term project, or dividing efforts, in the interest of establishing a working group that is producing and distributing an abundance of thoughtful and powerful material? 

Just my thoughts. I would love to hear more from the group as well. 

Best, 
Jaime


On Nov 14, 2011, at 5:03 PM, Lauri Faggioni <lfaggioni@me.com> wrote:

Lulu, Thank you for writing back. I was at the meeting on Tuesday when you brought this up but unfortunately I had to work on Thursday and Saturday so I was not able to attended the meetings you are referring to. I looked through the Meeting Minutes and this was all that I found. This was on Thursdays Meeting minutes. 

"lulu passed out a proposal for a long format doc (living document open for adaptation) and took a temperature on starting a long format sub work group. Temperature was mostly positive, at least one mixed. Agreement to look at the proposal and discuss more at sat meeting. It’s also posted on the media group google docs."

There is no mention of this being discussed in Saturday meeting minutes. I also did not find your proposal on the Google docs site. I may be wrong but I think this has not reached consensus yet. My personal feeling is that dividing the Media production group is not a good move. Many of us have been working to form this collective for two months now. We all are doing documentary work, whether that is in the form of short or longer format pieces. We are severely under-resourced and have a limited amount of people-power so the idea of further dividing us seems to undermine the efforts to create the collective we have worked so hard to build. 

We are also fighting a battle against time in the Media working group on the production side. The mainstream media is pumping their own opinions about the movement at an alarming rate. In my opinion I think we need to focus on getting our message and our narrative out to as many people as possible as quickly as possible. The movement is still happening. It is living and breathing every single day. We, in Media are a part of it's well being. We are really struggling to keep up as it is. It worries me that so much effort would be taken away from the media group to focus on a narrative would not be seen until the distant future in a movie theater somewhere when we so desperately need to get this information out now. 

This is just my 2 cents but I'm curious to know how others in the Media group feel about this. 

L



On Nov 14, 2011, at 1:03 PM, lulu wrote:

wanted to add an exclamation to that:
Please join us!
(also in case peeps didn't see the earlier email, this tuesday we're going on a field trip to BK to see the 99% collective's film. mtg at 60 wall street at 6:30pm.)
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [GlobalRevolutionMedia] documentary working group mtg
plans
From: "lulu" <shugah@shugahfilms.com>
Date: Mon, November 14, 2011 12:29 pm
To: globalrevolutionmedia@googlegroups.com

Hi Lauri-

The formation of the documentary workgroup has been on the media group meeting agenda for a couple meetings. The main reason is that because there is so much other business done at the media meetings, we often don't have time for discussion of projects, and a long format documentary is a major undertaking that needs a lot of time devoted to it. On thursday 11/10/11 after discussion and through the consensus process it was decided to form a documentary sub group of the media group. It was written up in the notes, which I emailed to Fix. The group is open to everyone and will work using the same consensus process the other working groups use. It will meet on Tuesdays at 8pm after the media meeting to allow for maximum participation of anyone interested. 

The documentary working group does not prevent anyone from continuing with any projects that they are already undertaking or want to undertake in the future. Everyone is free to keep creating. It is just a group to help those who want to work together on long format projects have a time to focus on doing so. One of the first things we will figure out is if we want to focus on one project, or several, and how to structure our work together. I encourage you to join us if you'd like.

lulu


-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [GlobalRevolutionMedia] documentary working group mtg
plans
From: Lauri Faggioni <lfaggioni@me.com>
Date: Mon, November 14, 2011 11:23 am
To: globalrevolutionmedia@googlegroups.com

Hi Lulu,

I'm confused. The Media working group has been making documentaries since the occupation started. What is the Documentary Working group? Is the Media group being divided?

L



On Nov 14, 2011, at 10:46 AM, lulu wrote:

The documentary working group is going to be meeting Tuesdays at 8pm at 60 Wall Street to make it as easy as possible for all members of the media team who are interested to participate.

This coming Tuesday, 11/15/11 is a little different though. We are going to meet at 60 Wall Street at 6:30 pm (after checking in with the beginning of the media meeting) and go see what's going on with the 99% film collective that is screening their work on the occupy movement in Brooklyn. All are welcome. Traveling via subway. Rachel has more details.

lulu


< PREV INDEX SEARCH NEXT >