Subject: RE: [GlobalRevolutionMedia] documentary working group mtg plans
From: "lulu" <shugah@shugahfilms.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 23:50:20 -0700
To: globalrevolutionmedia@googlegroups.com

Lauri -

Below are the notes from Thursday's meeting (11/12/11) where there was a consensus to form a documentary sub-group to focus on long format work. I took the notes, so I apologize if it's a conflict of interest. Fix had been taking notes, but then he had to go, so I volunteered. I also re-posted the documentary living document proposal and shared it with the group.

I understand your concern about resources, but I the doc group can help to get the immediate message out. We can archive, log and organize footage that will be useful for live stream and immediate release. The concept is for everything to be shared, not separate. And as I said at the meeting, if we don't tell our story, someone else will be telling it for us a year from now.

Media has also been understaffed because we have not been sufficiently organized about outreach. Toward that end, I met with one of the main volunteers, John Cipriano about recruiting people for media, both trained media to shoot, edit, produce, and untrained volunteers to work the media table (if/when we get another space.)

These are the relevant notes from thursday's mtg.

lulu presents idea for working group for documentary
Josh - Against the formation of a separate meeting for long format doc – this is the media meeting and
This is where we need to discuss it.
Atik – supports the idea of the long format – only reservation is the proposal tries to cover too much.
Justin – hopes that the doc can include all aspects of the process including the nitty gritty.
Messiah – has been on the road and some leader is always telling you not to shoot. Had to take a break cause he got tired  of that.  HE’s here to  work on long format.
Julie – it’s a disservice to the movement to say that there’s one piece to represent the movement. We should be discussing projects. IF someone is proposing a documentary that is from this angle – then that could be done.
lulu – just want to get the process started. There could be multiple docs.
David – he likes the subgroup idea.  We have photography subgroup.  We do have subgroups. They report back. Whenever we have project report back is a good time for people to report.
lulu – group would be open to everyone who wants to participate.
Justin – change of topic – about Egyptan skyping . is it happening?
Joe – they want an accent on media especially – people from live stream might go to Egypt separately. 
Back to doc subgroup.
Josh - Feature doc is the least critical thing that we could do right now. There are real issues that people need to know about it. The need to know about it now, this week. It’s a great idea but not critical and not where our resources need to go.
lulu – doc is critical. If we don’t tell our story – other people will tell our story for us.
Joe – Hasn’t read the proposal but has spoken with lulu.  the doc proposal is to be made consensus style and there’s no advantage to not including  it in our work.
Don’t know this person’s name – made a proposal last night as spokes. He was told to come to media group. He comes here on weekend from Pennsylvania. Many people – his friends are living the movement but not connected to the internet. His proposal is to have a projector that he can donate and he needs 600 watts of power and it would display media for people to read and view.  Marissa thanks him for coming, lets him know we are on different agenda item.
Andrew – do we need a consensus to create a subgroup?
Joe – yes we do.
Marissa – yes, it’s important to use consensus. The point of us coming together is to reach consensus on what we want and build community based media.
Andrew – We should just form the subgroup. There’s a greater community that might be included. Just start a workgroup. We’re not taking  enough actions.
Discussion about whether it’s helpful to come to consensus about this issue.
Robin –doc group also needs to provides coverage for live events
Michael – doc group should not keep us from covering events and participating in media as a whole.
Rachel – a lot of energy needs to be devoted to day to day. But long form is also important and we can do both.
David – I agree. I’ve seen doc filmmakers come here for 2 ½ months and lulu wants to work with us, in the consensus process.
lulu – It will be a leaderless process that includes whoever wants to be involved.
Consensus passes that the documentary subgroup will be formed.



-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [GlobalRevolutionMedia] documentary working group mtg
plans
From: Lauri Faggioni <lfaggioni@me.com>
Date: Mon, November 14, 2011 5:03 pm
To: globalrevolutionmedia@googlegroups.com
Cc: Joshua van Praag <jvanpraag@me.com>

Lulu, Thank you for writing back. I was at the meeting on Tuesday when you brought this up but unfortunately I had to work on Thursday and Saturday so I was not able to attended the meetings you are referring to. I looked through the Meeting Minutes and this was all that I found. This was on Thursdays Meeting minutes. 

"lulu passed out a proposal for a long format doc (living document open for adaptation) and took a temperature on starting a long format sub work group. Temperature was mostly positive, at least one mixed. Agreement to look at the proposal and discuss more at sat meeting. It’s also posted on the media group google docs."

There is no mention of this being discussed in Saturday meeting minutes. I also did not find your proposal on the Google docs site. I may be wrong but I think this has not reached consensus yet. My personal feeling is that dividing the Media production group is not a good move. Many of us have been working to form this collective for two months now. We all are doing documentary work, whether that is in the form of short or longer format pieces. We are severely under-resourced and have a limited amount of people-power so the idea of further dividing us seems to undermine the efforts to create the collective we have worked so hard to build. 

We are also fighting a battle against time in the Media working group on the production side. The mainstream media is pumping their own opinions about the movement at an alarming rate. In my opinion I think we need to focus on getting our message and our narrative out to as many people as possible as quickly as possible. The movement is still happening. It is living and breathing every single day. We, in Media are a part of it's well being. We are really struggling to keep up as it is. It worries me that so much effort would be taken away from the media group to focus on a narrative would not be seen until the distant future in a movie theater somewhere when we so desperately need to get this information out now. 

This is just my 2 cents but I'm curious to know how others in the Media group feel about this. 

L



On Nov 14, 2011, at 1:03 PM, lulu wrote:

wanted to add an exclamation to that:
Please join us!
(also in case peeps didn't see the earlier email, this tuesday we're going on a field trip to BK to see the 99% collective's film. mtg at 60 wall street at 6:30pm.)
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [GlobalRevolutionMedia] documentary working group mtg
plans
From: "lulu" <shugah@shugahfilms.com>
Date: Mon, November 14, 2011 12:29 pm
To: globalrevolutionmedia@googlegroups.com

Hi Lauri-

The formation of the documentary workgroup has been on the media group meeting agenda for a couple meetings. The main reason is that because there is so much other business done at the media meetings, we often don't have time for discussion of projects, and a long format documentary is a major undertaking that needs a lot of time devoted to it. On thursday 11/10/11 after discussion and through the consensus process it was decided to form a documentary sub group of the media group. It was written up in the notes, which I emailed to Fix. The group is open to everyone and will work using the same consensus process the other working groups use. It will meet on Tuesdays at 8pm after the media meeting to allow for maximum participation of anyone interested. 

The documentary working group does not prevent anyone from continuing with any projects that they are already undertaking or want to undertake in the future. Everyone is free to keep creating. It is just a group to help those who want to work together on long format projects have a time to focus on doing so. One of the first things we will figure out is if we want to focus on one project, or several, and how to structure our work together. I encourage you to join us if you'd like.

lulu


-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [GlobalRevolutionMedia] documentary working group mtg
plans
From: Lauri Faggioni <lfaggioni@me.com>
Date: Mon, November 14, 2011 11:23 am
To: globalrevolutionmedia@googlegroups.com

Hi Lulu,

I'm confused. The Media working group has been making documentaries since the occupation started. What is the Documentary Working group? Is the Media group being divided?

L



On Nov 14, 2011, at 10:46 AM, lulu wrote:

The documentary working group is going to be meeting Tuesdays at 8pm at 60 Wall Street to make it as easy as possible for all members of the media team who are interested to participate.

This coming Tuesday, 11/15/11 is a little different though. We are going to meet at 60 Wall Street at 6:30 pm (after checking in with the beginning of the media meeting) and go see what's going on with the 99% film collective that is screening their work on the occupy movement in Brooklyn. All are welcome. Traveling via subway. Rachel has more details.

lulu


< PREV INDEX SEARCH NEXT >