So, as you may remember from our email three days ago (which probably seems like 3 years ago to most of us), we were planning to do the big email switch-over tonight. However, considering how much has happened since that email went out, and considering the fact that only about 35% of you have followed the steps outlined in that previous email, we have decided it would be prudent to delay for one more day. We want to give any of you who want to participate in this new email offering a chance to do so. Let me reiterate the steps you need to take within the next 20 hours or so:
- You should have received a separate email from us with login information and an initial password for your new NYCGA.net Google Apps account.
- You must use the link in that email (http://mail.nycga.net) to log in to your new account and change the password.
- You should share that new password you set with all members of your group who will be checking and managing this email.
That's it. Then, Wednesday night, email will stop being forwarded to your personal address and will begin flowing into your fancy new inbox. If you do not take these steps, your @nycga.net
email address (which you may or may not have even known you had) will stop working. If emails do get sent to it, we will do our best to forward them along to you, assuming your group contact info is up-to-date on the nycga.net
site (which I'm certain it is because you're all so conscientious).
Below, you can read or re-read our initial email explaining all of this in more depth. If you have already followed the steps listed above, you are done! Feel free to log into your account again as a practice run just to make sure everything is set up, but you should be good to go.
Thanks for your participation. You are all wonderful and we love you.
The Internet Working Group
On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 3:22 AM, NYCGA Internet Working Group <email@example.com>
You are receiving this message because your e-m
ail was listed as a contact person for an OWS group and we had previously set up an email forwarder for you with an @nycga.net
address. We have good news: your group is about to get its own private mailbox!
What you need to know:
What you need to do:
- Starting next Tuesday night 11/15/11, emails coming to your group's email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) will no longer be forwarded and will instead arrive at your group's new Gmail-style inbox.
- This will be a shared inbox, so any group members that have the log-in information can log in to send emails from and read all emails to your group's email address.
- The mailbox will look and feel just like Gmail, so most of it will already be very familiar to many of you!
- We hope you’ll use this as a shared inbox, but if you still want emails forwarded to individual users, you will be able to set this up using gmail filters.
- Besides email, you'll be able to use this @nycga.net account for Google Docs, Spreadsheets, Groups, and more.
We hope this will be a useful change for everyone, and we want to strongly encourage all of you to switch over and begin publicizing and actively using this new, more standardized, email address. We expect it will really help people find you and contact you easily. If you have any questions, just ask!
- Log in to your new account. Your initial log-in information will be arriving via a separate message shortly following this email. It will ask you to change the password upon your first log-in. This is the password that everyone from your group will need in order to have access to the group mailbox.
- You will be able access your mailbox at any time by going to: http://mail.nycga.net.
- If you do not sign in to your new NYCGA.net account before Tuesday, we will assume you are not checking this email address anymore and we will close your account.