Several members of PR just hopped off the phone with external allies in Labor and other orgs and everyone's in agreement that this is a pretext to shut the occupation down.
Bloombergville - a 2 wk occupation at City Hall earlier this summer - was shut down in the same way, as was the M-15 encampments in Barcelona and Madrid in late Spring.
1) We see this as a pretext to shut the occupation down. Bloombergville - a 2 wk occupation at City Hall earlier this summer - was shut down in the same way, as was the M-15 encampments in Barcelona and Madrid in late Spring. The Brookfield "rules" -- no lying down, sleeping bags, tarps -- are untenable.
2) We have an OWS Sanitation Operation, we don't need the city's crew. We have been self-governing and self-organized and taking care of our space. We already had a big clean-up planned and we're moving that forward a day - TO TODAY.
2) If Bloomberg really cared about sanitation here he wouldn't have blocked porto potties and dumpsters. OWS allies have been working to secure these things on our behalf.
3) We won't allow them to come in. This is an occupation, not a permitted picnic.
PLAN OF ACTION
* Discussing holding a 3pm press conference with Julie the Chair of Community Board 1, a member of OWS, and possibly someone else. To get message out before first filing deadlines.
* Allies looking into possibility of 6pm press conference with Black and Hispanic Caucus, Labor and other allies.
* Allies sending email blast to membership nationally calling for phone calls to Bloomberg and 311. Also putting call out for NYers to come at 5 or 6 am. Friday to defend the space, and if they can spend the night here great.
* OWS TO DO: Want to put out all-call for cleaning support TODAY (and have some of that happen while cameras are rolling at 3pm and 6pm press conferences)
* OWS TO DO: Want to put out an all-call for EVICTION DEFENSE SUPPORT AT 6AM TOMORROW MORNING.
I might be forgetting something but want to send you an update now....
Not An Alternative