|From:||beka economopoulos <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
|Sent time:||Thursday, October 13, 2011 12:24:41 PM|
|To:||email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Subject:||[september17discuss] TRAININGS TODAY: Media Messaging Around "Cleaning" Pretext|
|Attachments:||Strategic Messaging Trainings Today.doc|
Strategic Messaging Trainings Today
particularly around “cleaning” pretext
Today, Thursday 10/13
While we're doing everything we can today to prepare for a possible eviction attempt tomorrow (under the pretext of "cleaning"), we know that we also have to win the "battle of the story". We have to always be mobilizing more people and allies, drawing them into a compelling narrative. Part of the strategy we're up against is an attempt to get us off of our message about Wall Street and the 99% and into a "protesters vs. the city" story.
Today's strategic messaging sessions will delve into principles of how to stay on message, how to bridge back to your message, and how not to get caught up in our opponents' frames. We'll also go over some specific talking points for this particular situation. And we'll practice!
These will be up-on-your-feet, highly participatory, rapid-fire (30 min. sessions) and fun. All are welcome: whether you have lots of media experience to share with others, or you've never talked to the media.
See a few main bullet points below.
Contact Matt Smucker for more info or questions: email@example.com
Some important points about Bloomberg’s “cleaning” pretext:
· This “cleaning” is a pretext to shut the occupation down. The M-15 occupations in Spain this Spring, which #OWS took inspiration from, were shut down under the same pretext. And so was Bloombergville, an encampment by City Hall this summer. The "rules" published by the park’s private owners — no lying down, sleeping bags, or tarps — are untenable.
· Occupy Wall Street has a Sanitation Committee that is capable of cleaning the space, we don't need the city's crew. We are a self-governing and self-organized assembly, and we are organizing major cleaning operations today, and will continue to do so regularly.
· If Bloomberg really cared about sanitation here he would support the installation of portopans and dumpsters. #OWS allies have been working to secure these things on our behalf without success.
· We won't allow Bloomberg and the NYPD to foreclose our occupation. This is an occupation, not a permitted picnic.
· You want to talk about dirty? Let's talk about what's been going on every day on Wall Street. And let's talk about a billionaire mayor who stands up for bankers instead of for the majority of people who are struggling in this economy and who have had enough!
|< PREV||INDEX||SEARCH||NEXT >|