1.One of the reasons Chris Bowers' post on DailyKos was so helpful isthat OWS and OccupyTogether had done a poor job of making it easy tofind and join occupations around the country. That post, which has beenliked/shared/tweeted more than 40k times and has appeared on countlessother media, was a tremendous service at a time when OWS didn't haveit's own 'official' web presence. While I've heard that NYCGA.net issuch a thing, I've also heard that the official site lies in thefuture, and that 'there is no can there be an official site' because ofhow OWS is organized.
2. Such an approach to the website is mirrored by the generalattitude towards binding decisions and hierarchy. No one has theauthority to say 'this is official, this is inside, that is outside.'Only GA decisions can do that, and if the past is a guide, the GA isopenly resisting efforts to be explicitly for or against any otherentity, candidate or political effort.
3. On those ground, as long as these people are identified asMoveOn, then the MSM is just doing what it should do: locate credible,reputable spokespeople who can give insight on current events. It'slikely that these MoveOn people are known personally to the producers,and with the recent support (with bodies!) given by MoveOn to the OWS,MoveOn is defacto in the same position as any other group whose membersare involved in OWS. Which is to say: present, accounted for, and notentitled to represent themselves AS the movement, but only as part ofthe movement.
4. If there is a quote showing that a MoveOn spokespersonclaimed to represent the GA, I'd like to see it.
5. The MSM need not do anything special to help the 99% looklike it belongs on the Dem side of the aisle. It is enough that we livein a two party political system. I can only sympathize with thePaulites who have shown real dedication in supporting OWS. Theirpresence might not last, but it must be incredibly frustrating to beseen as supporting something that is de-facto on the left, liberal sideof the political divide, where you might find elected Democrats likeBarbara Lee, Raul Grijalva, but not any Tea Party loving Republicans.Democracy For America, the DCCC, Progressive Democrats of Americaaren't joining the OWS bandwagon because of some political error; it'sbecause this movement includes many Democrats and overlaps with many ofthe forces on the left side of the Democratic Party (*cough* LABOR).
6. Want the MSM to give more deference to a clear OWS voice?No problem. Create a diverse cadre of spokespeople trained to appear ontelevision, stick to carefully thought out talking points whileconforming to cable tv culture. Let them represent ONLY positionsapproved by the GA, and have the ability to say, explicitly, that theyare speaking on behalf of OWS. This would take about two days of hardwork. Ah, but who has the right to embark on such a project? Untilthen, expect the press to look for folks they know how to handle, bethey MoveOn, Democrats, Naomi Klein, Van Jones or Michael Moore.
On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 2:31 PM, DavidDeGraw <David@ampedstatus.com>
top MoveOn leaders / executives are all over national televisionspeaking for the movement. Saying We, We, We, We and directing peopleto OccupyWallStreetEvents.com, which redirects to the DailyKos.
again, fully appreciate the help and support of MoveOn, but the MSM isclearly using them as the spokespeople for OWS. I just had anoff-record discussion w/ NBC executives who say that other news execsthere plan to use them to divide the movement. This is an blatantattempt to fracture the 99% into a Democratic Party organization. Theleadership of MoveON and the Daily Kos are Democratic Party operatives. They do a lot of great work, but they are divide and conquer pawns. For years they ignored Wall Street protests to keep complete focus onthe Republicans, in favor of Goldman's Obama and Wall Street'sDemocratic leadership.
if anyone at Move On or Daily Kos would like to have a public debateabout these comments, we invite it.
if MoveOn leaders / executives are going to keep going on National TVto speak for OWS, we need them to make a clear statement.
please urgently propose that statement or a plan to call them out in aneffective way.
know there are some people who think any attempts at co-option will beunsuccessful, and there is some truth to that, but we can't let blatantco-option attempts continue w/out a response. the longer we remainsilent as people get on national tv claiming to speak for and lead themovement, the more damage will be done.