In any event, Obama can't "ordain" a commission. Maybe convene.
On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 7:28 PM, <firstname.lastname@example.org>
I'm good with everything in that except the commission, just ask to end corporate money in elections.
On 09/22/11, Micah White<email@example.com> wrote:
I have a proposal: maybe it would help if we drafted an open letter to the American People.
I wrote a rough draft. What do you think? If this is something that you'd like to see the GA agree on, please say so.
A MESSAGE TO AMERICA FROM THE PEOPLE'S ASSEMBLY IN ZUCOTTI PARK
Dear fellow Americans,
We are assembled in Zucotti Park - which we've renamed Liberty Plaza - in the financial district of New York, because we believe that the American economy is heading in the wrong direction and we have a few ideas for what to do about it.
There is a feeling shared by a growing number of people on the streets of the world that the global economy has become a kind of Ponzi scheme, a global casino, run by and for the benefit of the 1%.
We believe that it is possible to inject justice into the global economy. We have come up with the following list of things that can be done right now to rejuvenate democracy and economic justice in our country:
• Halt foreclosures for the unemployed, sick and elderly
• Increase funding to public services by taxing the richest 1%
• Forgive all student loan debt
• Reinstate the Glass-Steagall Act in order to control speculation
• Work with the other G20 nations to implement a 1% "Robin Hood" tax on all financial transactions and currency trades
• Ban high-frequency 'flash' trading and bring sanity to the markets
• Break up the "too big to fail" banks that threaten our future
• Arrest the financial fraudsters responsible for the 2008 meltdown and bring them to justice
• Ordain a Presidential Commission tasked with ending the influence corporate money has on our elected representatives in Washington
If you agree with any of these demands, then join us!
We will stay here in our encampment in Liberty Plaza until President Obama responds to each of these demands.
This is just the beginning, there is more to come as we work together to reshape America.
--- The People's Assembly of New York City