Here are seven demands that have been elaborated on this listserv. Some people believe they are too specific or difficult to understand. I don't, unless we think Americans are illiterate. I would like the Assembly to take a vote on this.
- Housing is a human right. Halt all foreclosures due to predatory lending and unpaid medical bills.
- Stop gambling people's savings on Wall Street. Reinstate the 1933 Glass-Steagall Act that separates investment banking from commercial banking.
- Tax all financial transactions as we tax all salable goods through. Introduce a Robin Hood Tax on all financial transactions now.
- Pair the taxes on long-term capital gains to the income tax. Repeal the Tax Reconciliation Act now.
- Corporations are not and will never be people. End corporate personhood under the 14th Amendment.
- Ban all corporate funding to political candidates. Introduce a tax bonus that allows each taxpayer to donate the same amount of money to a candidate or party of his or her choice.
- Radical reform of the electoral system. Enable new political formations to compete on an equal foot with the two major parties.
The list should always be left open for revision and expansion, clarifying in every message we send out that this only the beginning of a broad, open discussion--not the end of it.
On 9/26/11 8:59 AM, Lauren wrote:
This is british electoral law regarding party finances. There are very
few loopholes even if yes it's possible to try to game the system a
bit (it always is, the electoral reform being put out can be gamed as
well). Canadian campaign finance law is extremely close except it adds
about 100 million in public funding at about 3$ a vote from federal