I'll print these, no problem. Congratulations on the baby.
On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Snafu <email@example.com>
thank you for taking care of this I am pasting my most recent draft below. Unfortunately I cannot attend as I am a father of a baby born on Sept 17 who needs a lot of care. I have attended several prep meetings in August so several people know me. - Housing is a human right. Halt all foreclosures due to predatory lending and unpaid medical bills.
- Stop gambling people's savings on Wall Street. Reinstate the 1933 Glass-Steagall Act that separates investment banking from commercial banking.
- Tax all financial transactions as we tax all salable goods through. Introduce a Robin Hood Tax on all financial transactions now.
- Pair the taxes on long-term capital gains to the income tax. Repeal the Tax Reconciliation Act now.
- Corporations are not and will never be people. End corporate personhood under the 14th Amendment.
- Ban all corporate funding to political candidates. Enable each taxpayer and citizen to donate the same amount of money to a candidate or party of his or her choice.
- Radical reform of the electoral system. Enable new political formations to compete on an equal foot with the two major parties.
On 9/26/11 10:44 AM, Jon Good wrote:
I'd like to print my formulation out on papers to be distributed to the GA. Please send me other formulations and I'll print them out too. Unless folks specifically want their names tied in with their proposals, I'll give them all numbers or letters or something so that the content is not influenced by the people putting it forward.
On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 10:35 AM, Amin Husain <firstname.lastname@example.org>
I am sure I know many of you (e.g. Cesar, Isham, etc.) from Liberty Square. I am on the facilitation working group and others. I agree with all of you on the urgency of demands and/or vision/goals. I think that process can run parallel with Principles of Solidarity. I also think the Communique statement looks great as it has been revised (reserving judgment on the specific items mentioned, for the moment). I note that there is a consensus that the issue of demands/vision/goals in the context (or not) of the communique is on the agenda and should be so this evening at 7pm. If so, from the email exchanges, I think that is going to be a very difficult GA because of the competing approaches and understandings. I am concerned we will not get far enough. If I may respectfully suggest, in the interest of moving the discussion and its resolution along, that those who have proposed specific formulations here or at the GA to familiarize themselves with the competing proposal and try to be ready to make friendly amendment and get on board one or the other competing proposals, and have suggestions as point of compromise. This may help a great deal. Recognize that the GA, from experience, gets paralyzed if there are competing proposals to the body. We are likely to end up going in circles, and that may cause great damage to the cause, because people that are sitting in new on the GA will not like what they see. This is just a suggestion. We are doing great, and we can figure this out. I will say this. Let us not panic or get frustrated about not having demands; let's work hard on formulating them as soon as possible.